Art & Design
Why are we teaching Art & Design ?
Art and Design is all around us. From the wallpaper on our walls, the furniture we sit on, to the films we watch. At Sandbrook, not only are we teaching the potential artists of the future, but we are helping all of our children to develop an appreciation of the visual world around them, through a balance of skills based teaching, creative encouragement and experimentation.
During their time at Sandbrook, children are given the opportunity to develop their skills in using a variety of 2D and 3D materials: papier mâché to clay; oil pastels to acrylic paints and printing to photography. Modern artists are appreciated alongside the more traditional who still influence our lives today. We teach our children to value art and be creative !
As artists at Sandbrook, we would like our children to be able ;
- To produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- To become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- To evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- To know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms
- Year 5 has been making Fans this half term as part of their Creative Crafts Artwork.
- Year 5 have been weaving as part of their art lessons.
- Children have been creating their own story jars at home for World Book Day.
- 4S have thoroughly enjoyed exploring the work by Romare Bearden.
- Year 2 have been learning about the artist, Georgia O'Keeffe.
- 3C's Lowry inspired artwork looks amazing on our classroom display.
- 3C's paintings - in the style of LS Lowry - are amazing!
- Santa's workshop is open
- We are enjoying learning through our story of the week - the Gruffalo
- 3C used a variety of media in their Sketch Books, to draw Lowry inspired figures and buildings.